M.S. Burdyukov1,2, I.N. Yurichev1,2, A.M. Nechipay2, M.E. Isakova1, B.I. Dolgushin1
1N.N. Blokhin Russian Cancer Research Center, Moscow
2Russian Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education of Russian Ministry of Healthcare, Moscow
Burdyukov M.S. ― Cand. Med. Sc., Senior Researcher of Endoscopy Department of the N.N. Blokhin Russian Cancer Research Center, Associate Professor of Endoscopy Department of Russian Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education of Russian Ministry of Healthcare
23 Kashirskoe highway, Moscow, Russian Federation, 115478, tel. +7-903-686-40-54, e-mail: email@example.com
Abstract. Chronic abdominal pain syndrome is present in most oncology diseases of abdominal cavity as well as in chronic pain form of chronic pancreatitis. Despite development of new chemotherapeutic drugs, new surgical methods of treating pain, pain management the patients is still a dilemma as each of the methods has its own complications. Also each methods has their own deficiencies. One of the methods is percutaneous under US and CT-control and the other is neurolysis under endoscopic ultrasound control. Both methods are very useful and cause less complications. We performed a study to asses pain syndrome dynamics after endoscopic neurolysis and reveal most common response pattern to the method.
Purpose ― to study the dynamics of pain syndrome after endoscopic neurolysis and reveal most common response pattern to the method.
Design. In cases of 42 patients we enrolled in the study, with 60 interventions under endosonography performed to alleviate pain syndrome. Before intervention and the day after, as well as at time points at 1, 2, 4, 6 weeks after intervention, questionnaire with visual-analog scale were assessed. Statistical analysis of the date along with most common response patterns to the intervention were performed.
Results. Analysis of difference between baseline pain syndrome level and pain level immediately after the procedure revealed that in one case pain level did not change, in 2 cases pain level insignificantly increased and decreased in 57 patients. Decrease of pain syndrome ranged between 5 and 90 scores, with mean decrease of 55,5 scores, mediana 60 scores. In quarter patients pain decrease ranged between 5 and 40 scores with range of decrease between 70 and 90 scores in other quater. Based on that, we concluded that in 95% patients (57 out of 60), neurolysis under endoscopic control decrease the pain that makes that the procedure is effective method of decreasing: the patients; mediana magnitude of pain syndrome decrease was 60 scores that proves significance of the effect on pain syndrome.
Conclusion. In this part of the study pain syndrome dynamics was assesed on the base of questionnaire with visual-analog cale. Results of the study reveales that pain syndrome statistically significantly decrease in comparison with the baseline throughout the observation. There is a tendency to gradual increase in pain syndrome without reaching statistical significance. Most common patterns of dynamics of pain syndrome after the procedure were revealed that will help to predict results of dynamics after the procedure.
Key words: abdominal pain syndrome, neurolysis, under endoscopic ultrasound control.
1. Mantyh P.W., Clohisy D.R., Koltzenburg M., Hunt S.P. Molecular mechanisms of cancer pain. Nat. Rev. Cancer, 2002, Mar, 2 (3), pp. 201-9.
2. Garin A.M., Bazin I.S. Zlokachestvennye opukholi pishchevaritel'noy sistemy [Malignant tumors of the digestive system]. Moscow: Infomedia Pablisherz, 2003.
3. Yakovenko E.P. Abdominal pain: etiology, pathogenesis, and treatment issues. Klinicheskaya farmakologiya i terapiya, 2002, no. 1, pp. 39-42 (in Russ.).
4. Clouse R.E., Mayer E.A., Aziz Q. et al. Functional abdominal pain syndrome. Gastroenterology, 2006, 130, pp. 1492-7.
5. Borovskiy S.P., Kim V.L., Karimov F.Sh. Diagnosis and treatment of malignant tumors of the liver and pancreas using endovascular interventions. Materialy XII Mezhdunarodnoy konferentsii khirurgov-gepatologov Rossii i stran SNG. Tashkent: Annaly khir. gepatol, 2005, 10, 2, S. 143 (in Russ.).
6. Voskresenskiy O.V., Skipenko O.G., Timoshin A.D., Movgun A.A. Radical surgery in the treatment of malignant tumors pancreatoduodenal zone. Novye tekhnologii v gepatologii, 1995, pp. 317-318 (in Russ.).
7. Petrenko V.F., Kucherenko V.V. The relationship of emotions and colors. Novye tekhnologii v gepatologii, 1988, no. 3, pp. 70-82 (in Russ.).
8. Silaev M.A. Bolevoy sindrom pri rake podzheludochnoy zhelezy i khronicheskom pankreatite i vozmozhnosti ego kupirovaniya pri pomoshchi chreskozhnogo khimicheskogo neyroliza struktur vegetativnoy nervnoy sistemy: avtoref. dis. … d-ra med. nauk [Pain in pancreatic cancer and chronic pancreatitis and the possibility of relief using transcutaneous neyroliza chemical structures of the autonomic nervous system. Synopsis of dis. Dr med. sciences]. Rostov on Don, 2007. 40 p.
9. Vazhenin A.V., Sharabura T.M., Kosolapov A.N. Organizatsiya palliativnoy pomoshchi v regional'nom uchrezhdenii onkologicheskogo profilya. Aktual'nye teoriticheskie i prakticheskie aspekty vosstanovleniya i sokhraneniya zdorov'ya cheloveka: Sbornik nauchnykh trudov [Organisation of palliative care in regional institutions with cancer. Actual theoretically and practical aspects of restoration and preservation of human health: Proceedings]. Tyumen: IPTs “Ekspress”, 2004. P. 13.
10. Bryuzgin V.V. Interventional treatment of chronic pain in cancer patients. Opukholi zhenskoy reproduktivnoy sistemy, 2010, no. 2, pp. 10-20 (in Russ.).
11. Yoshioka J., Wakabayashi T. Treatemende la douleur des pancreatitis chroniques par la neurotomie de la tete du pancreas une technique niuvelle et ses resultants. Lion Chir, 1957, 53, pp. 836-845.
12. Zenz M., Kuzz-Muller K., Strumpf M., May B. Die ventrale sonographischgesteuerte Zoeliakus blockade. Anaesthesist, 1993, 42, pp. 246-255.
13. Yadav D., Timmons L., Benson J.T., Dierkhising R.A., Chari S.T. Incidence, prevalence, and survival of chronic pancreatitis: a population-based study. Am. J. Gastroenterol, 2011, 106, 2.
14. Dolgushin B.I., Kosyrev V.Yu., Nechipay A.M. et al. Neyroliz in the treatment of chronic pain in oncology. Vestnik Moskovskogo onkologicheskogo obshchestva, 2010, no. 12, pp. 3-6 (in Russ.).
15. Yan B.M., Myers R.P. Neurolytic celiac plexus block for pain control in unresectable pancreatic cancer. Am. J. Gastroenterol, 2007, Feb, 102 (2), pp. 430-8.
16. Penman I.D., Gilbert D. Basic technique for celiac plexus block/neurolysis. Gastrointest Endosc, 2009, Feb, 69 (2 Suppl), pp.163-5.
17. Puli S.R., Reddy J.B., Bechtold M.L., Antillon M.R., Brugge W.R. EUS-guided celiac plexus neurolysis for pain due to chronic pancreatitis or pancreatic cancer pain: a meta-analysis and systematic review. Dig. Dis. Sci, 2009, Nov, 54 (11), pp. 2330-7.
18. Arcidiacono P.G., Calori G., Carrara S., McNicol E.D., Testoni P.A. Celiac plexus block for pancreatic cancer pain in adults, 2011, Mar, 16 (3).